Friday, October 1, 2010

Now Your Suffering Continues (NYSC)


You know the feeling you get when you get money from a source, and you feel you do not deserve it. That’s exactly how I felt. The money I got seemed like a gift (“free gift” as an old friend would say). So I spent it all. The shocking part of it is I cannot remember what I spent it on. My 1st NYSC “alawi” was spent in record time – 1hr. Reckless spending some would say, but in truth I didn’t feel it was. Na so we lounge till late night…a la Lasgidi.

For some of us, the NYSC scheme is a waste of time. We were already getting our lives on track before the silly “clarions” call! The scheme, beautifully crafted, seems efficacious on paper but in reality is a farce we are tricked into. Tales of corpers in terrible situations fill state secretariats all over the country and Governors continue their propaganda year in year out as new batches of corps members take the oath. Now Your Suffering Continues (NYSC) is here to stay.

The PPA’s are something else these days. Some corps members get posted to eateries, shops and what have you. Some do not pay well and some give corps members paltry sums without any form of accommodation. Those posted to schools are lucky. Most of these schools have some form of accommodation. A striking finding is the mute stance of corps members. I find it irritating. It seems the “managing” mentally is deeply entrenched. People just “manage” whatever situation they find themselves without demanding an explanation or upgrade even when they entitled to such. And the excuse – we are serving our fatherland! I guess it’s just the way things work at this stage. Whenever I try to air my view with fellow corps members, I usually get a cold shoulder and turn the other cheek. I speak Greek in these situations so I’ve stopped complaining. This is Rome so I guess I’ll be Roman.

It’s been almost two months now and I am getting acquainted with not living in Lagos. I lost my camp girl. Apparently, I was just a means to an end. Cruel? No. I don’t think so. It’s camp “ish”. Get to camp, “hook up” with some ”chic”, have fun and it ends there. I guess I wanted more. It was never going to happen. Silly me. I’m serving at a Radio station in the city and I must say since I got here there hasn’t been much fun for me. The topsy turvy of my new life gives me little or no chance to unwind. Though night life is cool and there are several side attractions, “na if you get bar you fit flex”. The city is not like Lagos but boasts similar infrastructures. Amongst the first things I noticed is the love for the governor. Everyone has something nice to say about him. The city boasts a good network of roads, “working” street lights, clean and well landscaped environment amongst others. Also, power supply is fairly stable as most people don’t have need for generating sets. Yes. It is far better than what transpires in “ the centre of excellence”. Nevertheless, Eko o ni baje o! I miss home...but must remain here.


P.S. Music via lappy, BB and iPod naim dey comfort myself since I don't have much to celebrate at Nigeria's 50th year.

No comments:

Post a Comment